03 Sep Citrus Sunshine Slice
It’s almost time to say goodbye to beautiful, winter citrus so make the most of it with a pretty slice that’s just bursting with spring sunshine.
This recipe isn’t as tricky as it looks, just an upside down cake with a bit of creative fruit placement! It uses blood oranges, cumquats and cara cara oranges, all available at Ziggys.
- A selection of citrus such as cumquats, blood oranges, cara cara oranges, navels, etc. ends trimmed, sliced into 1/2 cm discs.
- 80g butter, plus an additional 150g for the cake batter.
- 4 tbsps brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus an additional
- 1 cup white sugar
- zest of one orange
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 200g self raising flour
- Line a lamington tin with baking paper and preheat your oven to 160 degrees.
- In a small frying pan on low, add the 80g of butter and the brown sugar, stirring until dissolved and bubbling.
- Add 1/2 cup orange juice and heat stirring for a couple minutes until bubbling again.
- Pour the warm mixture into base of the lamington tin and arrange sliced citrus on top, filling the gaps with halved and fractioned pieces. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and white sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, ensuring each one is well combined before adding the next.
- Add orange zest, milk and orange juice. Beat until well combined.
- Fold in the flour to form a batter.
- Carefully pour the batter over the citrus slices and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 mins or until golden and cake springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool in the tin for about ten minutes before turning out onto a tray upside down, revealing the citrus sunshine.