Skip to content
- 1950: 10 pound Poms, Henry and Winifred, arrive in Australia with two children in tow. They go on to become the biggest home builder in New South Wales and have three more children.
- 1959: Henry and Winnie move to Yass, NSW, and open the first Irvine family fruit shop in a closed down Neptune service station.
Henry was famous for his cigar and shop slogan:
“Why drive further, get rooked right here!”
It was an old fashioned way of saying ‘ripped-off’ and was a light-hearted joke on the industry at the time.
- 1981: Their fourth son, Ken, meets Toni and they marry.
- 1985: Ken and Toni move to Young, NSW, and continue the family tradition by opening their own fruit market in a second-hand tractor yard.
They go on to open two more stores in Cootamundra and Wagga Wagga, then have three sons of their own: Sam, Brendan and Todd.
- 2002: Ken, Toni and the boys move to Canberra.
- 2003: Take over Ziggys Belconnen.
- 2005: Youngest son, Todd, starts working at Ziggys Belconnen.
- 2008: Fyshwick store is opened.
- 2009: Win first Greengrocer of the Month Award and go on to win every year since.
- 2016: Win Greengrocer of the Year (NSW & ACT).
- 2017: Both stores undergo major renovations.