Sweet potato has been enjoying the spotlight for quite a while now. It’s healthy and filling but, mainly, we just like the taste! When you add bacon and cheese, there’s just a whole lot of happiness in one dish.
- 2 medium or 1 very large sweet potato (about 600g), chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500g firm ricotta cheese (the one from the deli section is best)
- 1 onion
- 4 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 packet extra large shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- 1 jar ready made or equivalent homemade pasta sauce (we love Riverina Grove)
- 150ml fresh cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Place the sweet potato on a tray lined with baking paper. Add the olive oil, spices and salt. Mix to combine and place in oven,
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until soft and golden, stirring halfway through so it cooks evenly.
- Place the sweet potato aside to cool.
- Fry the bacon and onion on low heat until caramelised.
- Add these to the sweet potato in a bowl along with ricotta and half the fresh basil, stir to combine. This will be the filling.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta to al dente (a little firmer than usual) and rinse with some cold water. You will need to stir the pasta while cooking so it doesn’t stick.
- In a large, ovenproof pan, add the pasta sauce, saving a little to go on top.
- Fill each shell completely full of filling (tongue-twister!) and arrange on top of the sauce, drizzling with remaining sauce once the pan is full.
- Drizzle the cream over the top of everything and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in the oven until golden and cheese has melted a little. About 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and serve!