This recipe has been created as part of an ongoing collaboration with the Canberra blog Photo Before We Eat.
Side dishes add a pop of colour to your Christmas table. Whether you’re a family who likes a big turkey or some cold meat, this tomato salad will go perfectly.
Plus it’s red, green and white – could it be more Christmassy?
Coming into summer, tomatoes are just perfect and these lovely punnet of ‘Romatherapy’ are our current pick for best tasting tomato in the shop. Adding a sprinkle of celery salt mimics the great flavour combo of a Bloody Mary and it’s what gives this salad some extra kick.
Did you know that to get the BEST tasting tomatoes you should always leave them to come to room temperature before eating? Storing them in the fridge is fine for freshness but don’t eat them cold.
- 3 punnets ROMATHERAPY tomatoes or other tomatoes, room temperature
- 1 250g tub (approx) of bocconcini cheese (fresh mozzarella)
- 1 small jar (approx 200g) marinated artichoke hearts, drained but not rinsed
- 1 large handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop the tomatoes into bite sized pieces. If using cherry sized tomatoes, in half is fine.
- Into a large salad bowl add the tomatoes, bocconcini, artichoke hearts and half the basil.
- In a separate bowl combine celery salt, pepper and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Drizzle this dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Sprinkle over remaining basil and allow to stand for at least 15 mins before serving, allowing the dressing flavours to be absorbed.